Monday, July 09, 2007

Allez Tour de France!

You would have had a hard time deciding what to do this past weekend, what with Wimbledon, Live Earth, the British Grand Prix, Henley Regatta and the Tour de France all happening in or near London.
Being spoilt for choice is, of course, what makes this city great. And even though it can take me an hour to decide which cereal to buy, the choice for me this weekend was an easy one. It couldn’t have been anything but the Tour de France. I’ve been watching it on TV for years and, as some of you may know, once you’ve watched a Tour on TV, you’re hooked. It’s probably a good way of learning what it’s all about, but to then experience it in real life, on our doorstep, was a rare opportunity.
It’s a great honour to host the Grand Départ of the Tour de France and London truly pulled it off. The whole weekend was spectacular – helped greatly, perhaps, by the fact that Summer 2007 also fell over those two days.
Watching the Tour in real life usually means hanging around for hours, only to see the cyclists whizz by in two seconds (or less). So the main thing is really to soak up the atmosphere – and, with well over a million spectators travelling to the event, there was plenty.
I was fortunate enough to be let into the village départ (begging will get you everywhere!), which is where you can watch the cyclists as they’re warming up.
Even watching them do all the work can be quite exhausting, so I wandered over to where the VIPs hang out and where the corporate entertaining takes place. Scoffing muffins and slush puppies to recuperate, I caught a contortionist act by two dead ringers for the Cheeky Girls. It would be fair to say I could probably ride the 7.9km time trial prologue route in under nine minutes before I could ever do what they did. It looked positively excruciating.
I never dreamt that I would see the Tour in real life (kidding – of course I did!). Or that, when I finally did, a South African rider (Robbie Hunter) would be leading one of the teams (Team Barloworld). And so, last week, I wrote in a column for this paper that it would be a crying shame if there were no South African flags along the prologue route. But I needn’t have worried. I met a group of Saffas, with a flag, who told me the Union Jacks were far outnumbered by our flag.
Robbie, the first South African to ride and finish the Tour, also mentions this in his online diary, saying: "The other thing that was great was the amount of SA flags flying around the roads.
I heard London was half South African, but now I really believe it.
Let’s hope the support carries on throughout the Tour all the way to Paris."

You can read Robbie’s Tour diary at www.robbiehunter.net.

(SA Times, 9 July 2007)

No comments: